Thank you to those who could make it out to our General Meeting last week with a special presentation by Suzanne Perreault on Navigating Inclusive Education/Triggering the Process. Her slideshow is now posted on our resource page.
DPAC has two meetings this month. The Executive Meeting on February 8th will include 2 delegations (VSB Sustainability Plan (draft) & Partners for Inclusive Education (PIE)), an introduction of Jody Langlois, Associate Superintendent, and a District Update by Superintendent Suzanne Hoffman. The General Meeting on February 22nd will include a presentation on the new curriculum by Jan Unwin, Superintendent of Graduation and Student Transitions at the Ministry of Education. This presentation will be broadcast as a webinar (details to come).
Draft and final minutes of our previous meetings are available on our website: http://vancouverdpac.org/2017-2018-school-year/ and agendas should be posted a few days beforehand.
Note: all DPAC meetings are open to parents and guardians of VSB students. While only DPAC executives can vote at Executive meetings, and only official DPAC representatives (PACs to self determine) can vote at General meetings, all parents and guardians of VSB students can participate.
- Wednesday, Feb 7, 6pm – VSB Committee III – Education and Student Services Meeting, Room 180, VSB Board Education Centre 1580 W. Broadway
- Thursday, Feb 8, 7pm – DPAC Executive Meeting, Room 120, VSB Board Education Centre
- Monday, Feb 12 – Family Day - No School
- Monday, Feb 19 – District-wide Non-Instructional Day - No School
- Tuesday, Feb 20, 7-9pm – SACY workshop "Building Bridges with Your Teen" at King George Secondary. Seating limited. Please register: www.SACY.eventbrite.ca
- Wednesday, Feb 21, 5pm – VSB Committee II – Planning and Facilities Meeting
- Thursday, Feb 22, 7pm – DPAC General Meeting with presentation on New Curriculum, Room 180, VSB Board Education Centre
- Monday, Feb 26, 7pm – VSB Board Meeting
- Wednesday, Feb 28 – Pink Shirt Day
- Thursday, Mar 8, 7pm – DPAC Executive Meeting, Room 180, VSB Board Education Centre
- Thursday, Mar 8, 6:30-8:30pm – SACY workshop "Adult Toolkit: Understanding Youth and Substance Use" in the SACY STEP Portable at Tupper Secondary. Seating limited. Please register: www.SACY.eventbrite.ca
- Tuesday, Mar 13, 7-9pm – SACY workshop "Building Bridges with Your Teen" at Vancouver Technical Secondary. Seating limited. Please register: www.SACY.eventbrite.ca
PAC / Parent Advocacy
Petition For Out-of-School Care
- Parents at Lord Tennyson are petitioning Rob Fleming, Minister of Education and Katrina Chen, Minister of State for Child Care, to “Integrate Out-of-School Care into Our Schools.’ Please consider signing and sharing: https://www.change.org/p/rob-fleming-mla-leg-bc-ca-integrate-out-of-school-care-into-our-schools.
Petition To Accelerate Seismic Upgrades
- Henry Hudson Elementary PAC's Seismic Upgrade Committee is supporting a petition started by a Hudson parent calling upon the new provincial government to follow up on its stated objective of accelerating seismic upgrades for the remaining high-risk schools throughout the province. Please consider signing and sharing: https://www.change.org/p/the-honourable-rob-fleming-bc-minister-of-education-accelerate-seismic-upgrades-for-high-risk-bc-schools.
Email Tool to Write to Premeir Horgan to Prioritize Education in BC Budget 2018
- BC Budget to be announced February 20th. Let your MLA, the Premier and the Minister of Education know that public education is important to you. This tool developed by FACE/PAN (Families Against Cuts to Education / Parent Advocacy Network for Public Education) quickly creates an email requesting the government implement the funding recommendations for public education made by the Select Standing Committee for Finance and Government Services in the 2018 budget with the ability to amend/add to make the message yours. http://facebc.ca/newyear/
- Welcome to DPAC's newest executive, Roy Park (email@example.com). Roy is our new treasurer and the DPAC liaision for:
- Crosstown Elementary School
- David Livingstone Elementary School
- Edith Cavell Elementary School
- Elsie Roy Elementary School
- False Creek Elementary School
- Henry Hudson Elementary School
- King George Secondary School
- Lord Roberts Elementary
- Lord Roberts School Annex
- Simon Fraser Elementary
- French Immersion Program Review Working Group. We are looking for up to two more DPAC representative to join this VSB committee. Next meeting will be on Thursday, February 15th from 3:45-7:15pm.
- DPAC French Immersion Program Review Input Session. Interested in the French Immersion Program Review but don't have the time to be on the VSB Working Group? We still want to hear from you so our representatives can share the diverse opinions of Vancouver parents. We are organizing an input session on Saturday February 10th to go over the meeting summary from last month's working group and prepare for the next one. Reading materials will be sent out in advance. Contact Amanda Hillis (firstname.lastname@example.org) if interested.
- DPAC By-laws. Think there is room for improvement in DPAC's by-laws? We do! We updated some of them last year, but are looking for suggestions on areas to change/update this year in time to present them at our AGM on June 21st. Current by-laws here. Send input to Shaun Kalley (email@example.com).
- At the January 25th General Meeting, representatives from 20 PACs voted and passed with strong support 3 motions on Naming School Facilities.