June 2018 Update

1364063978.png

We've made it to the last month of this school year and the final two DPAC meetings of 2017/18. Our Executive Meeting is on June 7th and our Annual General Meeting (AGM) is on Monday, June 18th (please note the date change ... this meeting has been moved to the Monday to avoid conflict with National Indigenous Peoples Day).

Note: all DPAC meetings are open to parents and guardians of VSB students. While only DPAC executives can vote at Executive meetings, and only official DPAC representatives (PACs to self-determine) can vote at General meetings, all parents and guardians of VSB students can participate.

Important Dates

DPAC

AGM - Election and Bylaw Updates

  • Do you know someone, or are someone, who would make a great DPAC executive or DPAC table officer next year? Please get your PAC to sign off the nomination form and submit to DPAC before June 18th.
  • We've made some revisions to our bylaws we'd like to have ratified at the AGM including making one of our executives-at-large seats for an Indigenous parent. PACs and DPAC reps please keep an eye on your inbox as we hope to have these and a proposed budget for 2018/19 out to you early next week. Current by-laws here

Playgrounds

  • Following the announcement that Brock Elementary would be receiving a new playground as part of the provincial government's new Playground Equipment Program, DPAC asked the VSB to help clarify the criteria that are looked at when such decisions are made and to provide guidance on the question we have received from multiple PACs, "Should we stop fundraising for a new playground?"  Here's the Information we received re: fundraising and prioritizing
  • To help DPAC advocate to VSB to include playgrounds on their capital plan request (they can include up to 3), please send DPAC the following information:
    • age of your playground(s)
    • general condition
    • how much fundraising you have raised to date
    • a short paragraph on what your school needs
    • a picture if you have one 

Catchments and Boundaries - DPAC motions

  • At our May 24 General Meeting, General Gordon brought two motionsforth regarding the proposals which we forwarded to VSB. 

Mental Health

  • FamilySmart® has released a new video The Language We Use which gets at how important our language/words are when we're talking about or trying to support people with mental health issues

Expand/Embrace Your Indigenous Knowledges

VSB

Budget 2018/19

Catchment Boundary Review

  • VSB information on proposed changes 
  • At the May 27 Board meeting, Suzanne Hoffman, Superintendent, announced that Catchment review is being extended by one year to accommodate the following:
    • BC Hydro proposal
    • French Immersion Program Review
    • Grandfathering, including review of district policy
    • Pursuit of school at Olympic Village

BC Hydro West End Substation Proposal

Staffing & Classrooms

  • Teacher and Teacher Support Staffing Update Report presented at May 16 Committee IV meeting.
  • At the May 27 Board meeting, it was announced that Garibaldi Annex will have no students next school year

BCCPAC

Updates:

Ministry of Education

Area Standards & Capital

  • At the BCSTA (British Columbia School Trustees Association) AGM and the BCCPAC Conference, Rob Fleming, Minister of Education acknowledged that construction costs have increased so area rates for school construction will be increased. In addition school area standards (how much space & what it’s used for) will be updated.

Relationships with Indigenous peoples

Mental Health and Vulnerable Students

Playgrounds