Great to see so many of you last month at our Executive and General meetings. If you were not able to make it, draft minutes are available on our website: http://vancouverdpac.org/2017-2018-school-year/ and we hope you can join us soon.
Note: all DPAC meetings are open to parents and guardians of VSB students. Though only DPAC executives can vote at Executive meetings, and only official DPAC representatives (either PAC chair/co-chair or DPAC representative - PACs to self determine) can vote at General meetings, all parents and guardians of VSB students can participate.
- Wednesday, Nov 1 - VSB Kindergarten registration opens.
- Wednesday, Nov 8, 6pm – VSB Committee III – Education and Student Services Meeting, Room 180, VSB Board Education Centre 1580 W. Broadway
- Thursday, Nov 8 - Aboriginal Veterans Day (info about)
- Thursday, Nov 9, 7pm – DPAC Executive Meeting, Room 180, VSB Board Office.
- Friday, Nov 10 - Curriculum Day - No school for students
- Friday, Nov 10, 6pm - Free theatre performance of “Saving Mother” at UBC Longhouse. DPAC had anticipated hosting this performance earlier this year but was unable to due to unforeseen circumstances. It was written by our Treasurer, Crystal Smith.
- Saturday, Nov 11 - Remembrance Day
- Monday, Nov 13 - Remembrance Day Stat - No school
- Wednesday, Nov 15, 5pm – VSB Committee II – Planning and Facilities Meeting, in Room 180, VSB Board Education Centre
- Thursday, Nov 23, 7pm – DPAC General Meeting, Room 180, VSB Board Office. We are working out the details of the workshop, but it will include Communicating Student Learning. We will send more details when they’re available. Contact Shaun Kalley by Nov 21 if you require childcare (Vicechair@vancouverdpac.org)
- Thursday, Nov 23, 6pm - Beyond the Blues: The Hidden Depression in Children & Youth presentation by Kelty Mental Health Resource Centre at BC Children's & Women's Hospital 950 West 28 Avenue. Free but registration required.
- Monday, November 27, 7pm – VSB Board Meeting at the VSB Board Education Centre
PAC to PAC notices:
Does your Elementary school have a scholarship or bursary for alumni when they graduate from high school? General Gordon Elementary is looking into starting one and would appreciate learning about your eligibility and guidelines. Please contact parent-volunteer firstname.lastname@example.org. Thanks.
Updates at VSB:
- New faces:
- Congratulations to our new School Board Trustees who were sworn in Monday evening. Janet Fraser (chair), Joy Alexander, Fraser Ballantyne, Carrie Bercic, Ken Clement, Lisa Dominato, Estrellita Gonzalez, Allan Wong, and Judy Zaichkowsky
- Two new members of senior staff starting soon
- New school name:
- Xpey’ Elementary is the new name of Sir William Macdonald Elementary, VSB’s District Aboriginal Focus School.
- Seismic announcements:
- On October 11th, the government announced that Sir Matthew Begbie Elementaryand Bayview Community Elementary (both on year 1 of VSB’s 2017 Capital Plan) will be replaced with new builds by September 2021. CBC article. This leaves 56 high seismic risk schools on the Capital Plan without guaranteed funding.
Updates at the Ministry of Education:
On October 24th, the Ministry announced that the new Grade 11-12 curriculum implementation is being delayed a year. This means next year, Grade 10 will start using the new curriculum and the following year Grade 11 and 12 will start. More information on the transition to 2018 Graduation Program on the Ministry website.
The Ministry is reviewing playground funding (CBC article, Oct 25). As this was part of the NDP platform, we hope to see something in the February 2018 budget. BCCPAC will be asking for DPACs to provide a list of schools in their district that need immediate playground replacement, replacement in 5 years, in 10+ years, and playgrounds that have just been replaced.